Advanced Data Layout Dynamic Loading
To make ADLs run, and process your data, there are two problems that need solving:
- You have to decide whether to use an ADL on that data, and decide which ADL to use!
- There's a separate page about this: we call it the Signalling problem.
- You have to have some code that implements that ADL!
- That's what this page is about.
- if you used the direct "action route" through signalling, this is a gimme
- your library should probably have some sort of registry, otherwise
- language specific "rockets" are common today
- we hope to have wasm implementations and a common plugin API shared across langauges someday -- but that day is not today (developers welcome)
- "running foreign code on somebody else's budget" is not something that happens at unbounded scale on public services
- availability in many languages/libraries, and authorship/maint effort implied -- it's better to use community-common things if you can
- similar to codecs in this regard
- reminder that schemas are usable on public infra (like e.g. on hosted IPLD Explorer tools), because they have predictable computation cost envelopes -- reminder to prefer doing things with a schema rather than an ADL if you can; don't reach for ADLs just because you want a funky fresh custom format